Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Cooking With Melanie: Soufflé Edition

I would consider myself a pretty adventurous cook. Like...I'm no master chef, but I'm definitely not afraid to try things. And when I am afraid to try things, I usually go ahead and do them anyways just to prove myself wrong. Sometimes it goes well...and sometimes it backfires.

I've had a couple of things on my kitchen try-it list, and making a soufflé was one of them. Last week I decided that I would record myself attempting to make a most-impressive soufflé. I got all excited, and went out and bought an overpriced soufflé dish (...which I used and returned DON'T JUDGE ME).

I even put it in my calendar as "Soufflé Day"

Look at that cocky little drawing. OH, SO NOW YOU'RE A CHEF AND AN ARTIST??  NICE TRY, MELANIE.

WELL SOMETIMES YOU SHOULDN'T GET TOO EXCITED ABOUT THINGS, BECAUSE THEN YOU MIGHT GET A LITTLE SLOPPY.



You might notice that for about two-thirds of the video, I prance around the kitchen like some Ina Garten wannabe, because I'm TOO DANG CONFIDENT IN THE KITCHEN. Like honestly, Melanie. Try some humility.

Well..it didn't fully rise, but at least it didn't collapse on itself.
Anyways, the soufflé actually turned out to be prrretty delicious. I used Ina Garten's Spinach and Cheddar Soufflé recipe , because I saw her make it on TV and told myself that it looked easy (WTF MELANIE). If I had kept the soufflé dish, I definitely would have made it again. And I still want to try and make a dessert soufflé one day...preferably one that rises. But I'll consider this one crossed off the list for now, until I can get my hands on a soufflé dish that doesn't cost a small fortune.

1 comment: